Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Momentous events

It's been an up and down couple of days, around here...

We used to have a morale committee at work - it was called the Fish committee, and when someone went above and beyond in their job, they were rewarded with these little paper fish. People wrote something nice about what you had done on the front of it, and you were supposed to collect them and turn them in for different amounts of cash, days off with pay, etc. I questioned once what happened to the fish after you turned them in. I had become a bit attached to my fish, you see... Sometimes I form sentimental attachments to things. I don't know why, I have just always been this way. At any rate, the management kept your fish after they were redeemed. Most likely because they didn't want people to turn theirs in twice. When they told me this, I decided to keep my fish and turn them in on my last day. Not even out of rebellion, really - it's just that things like that cheer me up when I'm not feeling too hot.

The dream ended two weeks ago - the management decided that the program must go. They said it wasn't for economic reasons, but I don't think I buy it. We were asked to turn in all of our fish by the end of the day if we wanted to redeem our cash. I had a stockpile of 49 - by far the most, since everyone else in the company actually turned theirs in on a regular basis. Our secretary, who loves me, prevented them from being thrown away. She snagged them for me and now they're back at my desk, in their rightful place.

I did net some nice cash, that day... and I did have to purchase a small electronic device with it. My review of the ipod touch is that it is fabulous. It's really an insanely useful tool, and it looks good, too. I get so happy over electronics... almost as attached as I get to pieces of paper... This summer, hopefully BA (Before Arizona), I am hoping to visit my storage. I think I might have some notes from the 7th grade - stay tuned, it's likely to be a good story...

And now the not so fabulous news. I was standing around talking to my IT guy at work yesterday, when I heard a noise and looked over my shoulder to see what it was. As I did this, I felt something shift in my knee. Nothing alarming, not a huge amount of pain, just a little shift. I though it would work itself out. By about quitting time, however, I knew I was in trouble. I wasn't walking right at all, so I came home and iced myself. All night, actually. When I got up this morning, I yelled when my foot touched the floor. I don't yell very often, and I think I might have scared Jazz. Anyway, I did call the doctor and make an appointment for 11am tomorrow. I talked to his assistant, who told me it is something that I might have to just live with. I briefly wondered if he would like to live with my shoe embedded in his midsection... but then again, since I can neither bend my knee nor straighten it without a great amount of pain, it is unlikely that my aim would be that great. I hope the doctor has better news. If he doesn't, I'm getting a second opinion. Life is too short to spend it in pain! And there are still so many things I want to do - I need knees.

In other news, I'm meeting with a professor Thursday to talk about the phD program at UNO. I am excited by this. Also, Wednesday is the season finale of LOST - the only show I ever watch in prime time.

I will post further on all of these things! Night...

2 comments:

  1. Your knees, my feet. I am stuck at home taking it easy because of my "Plantar Faciitis."
    So I am wreaking havoc on the laptop.
    Oh and I think it's definitely Salmonella. Steve came down with the same symptoms.

    ReplyDelete