Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I must've spent too long outside...

Welcome to the latest edition of RJ's Midnight Blogging Service...
Tonight, a story of illness. I don't know how I got sick. I didn't hang out with anyone this weekend except for Jazz. My dog and I are close, but not that close, you understand. So, apparently I contracted a vile illness at some point. At approximately 8:15 am on Monday I started coughing. Not regular coughing, but this out-of-breath wheezing hack that made me wonder whether I was going to make it or not. I could feel my vocal cords swelling. It was quite a treat. Suddenly, about mid-afternoon, I discovered my next source of pain - I'd coughed so hard that I threw my back out.

Oh, yeah. If that doesn't make you feel cool, then nothing will.

I set about making an appointment with my chiropractor, who knows my back well, and then one of my co-workers gently suggested that I consult a GP as well. She said that if I didn't get the cough fixed, then I was likely to throw it out again. Sure, if you want to use the logical approach. Trouble is, I haven't had a GP in years. Why, you ask? I'm afraid of doctors. Isn't that funny? Some part of me is convinced that I'm going to get some crappy advice, and I would rather have no direction than bad direction. Also, I've always just gone to Midwest Minor Medical, or a place like that. Anyway, I finally made the phone call. To the utter shock of my co-workers, who have been trying to get me to do this for three years.

I paid a visit to Mikala Albertson the next day. It was much less threatening than I imagined. No needles were involved (another item on my greatest fear list). She said I had bronchitis. This was a bit funny to me. My mother had always told me that both my sisters had bronchitis, but that I was just fine. A few years ago, when my sisters and I compared notes about famous Mom statements, our various medical histories came up as a topic. It seems that the details regarding the different ailments that we were all supposed to have (or not supposed to have) were a bit fuzzy. We all decided to write on future medical forms the statement "your guess is as good as mine" and just start fresh.

The doc and I got on pretty well. She ended up taking me on as a regular patient - poor girl. She doesn't know what she's gotten into. So now I'd like to introduce you to my two new (non-human) best friends. Meet:


The Inhaler!!

And..

The IcePack!!

Tiny superheroes, fighting illness at every turn and leaping tall buildings in a single bound. (So I'm told. Haven't actually witnessed that for myself yet.) A bit like Ozzie and Drix (see Brandy for an explanation of that.)

Here is a shot of what I've been doing this evening:


The Computer, the LOST, and The Corrective Shoes!

Actually, it was a pretty fabulous night. It's been a long time since I could just drool and watch TV. I'm so into going to school, creating the business, going to my 40 hour, and everything else that I've been missing the scenery along the way. The doc did point out that sleep is a great defense against illness - I guess that seems logical...

Things that are hard to do when your back is out:

Play ball with the dog.

The Jazz! No relation to Utah.

She enjoys setting her collection of toys on the floor, just beyond my reach. I have yet to decide if this is intentional.

Well, that's it for tonight. Slight complaining aside, I am enjoying getting older. Mostly because I never thought I'd live this long! Enjoy~~ will post again soon.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you're feeling better soon. You can't be sick during RJ Appreciation Month, you know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a dingo? Is a dingo good?

    ReplyDelete