Sunday, November 15, 2009

Random Post, with Holiday Overtones


Bob Donlan painted this for me a couple of months ago - I finally found someone with a vehicle big enough to help me haul it home from the framers. Incidentally, free canvasses are never really free. I got this canvas from work - they were just going to throw it away, so of course I took it off their hands. I figured I would paint on it when I had the time - that was about a year ago, so you can guess what happened. Then my Bob happened by - I've always wanted one of his paintings, because they are so fabulous. The Donlan never disappoints...

I never frame anything, but lately I've been told that looks tacky... so I took this one in to be framed. This is when I learned the true price of a free canvas - it was a really odd size, so it had to be custom framed. Eeek. Had it been a regular size, it would have cost me about 25% as much.

At any rate, I now have a beautiful painting hanging above my head - although, since I was the one that hung it, it's not incredibly stable. We'll see if any injuries transpire.

In other news, I'm feeling a little holiday spirit lately. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the holidays - hate the religious aspects, love get-togethers (but it depends on the get-together in question). Tonight I splashed some Egg Nog creamer into my constantly-at-hand great big cup of coffee. My favorite Christmas movie also made it into the DVD player - It's A Wonderful Life. Go ahead, wince. Most of my friends do. I can't help it, though - I love that story. Perception changes everything, doesn't it? I generally put the movie on a loop until Dec 25th. Sometimes others sprinkle in, for the sake of variety, but Jimmy Stewart is my main guy for a while. I might be moved to put up my tree pretty soon - it's been sitting in my coat closet since last year. I love a good tree. Mine is short, like me, and it has mostly blue decorations. Until last year, I hadn't put up a tree for quite a while. No special reason, other than it's a bit of a hassle, and I like real ones better anyway. Last year I decided that these excuses were not good enough, and I'm glad I made that decision.

So - Jazz is looking at me like I'm a little nuts for being up this late. Going to finish my coffee and run off to bed - happy pre-holidays, darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment